Friday, January 15, 2010

My Golden Angel

The highs points and joys of the year could never have prepared me for the heartbreak of the low.


When I went to pick out my little bundle of golden fur back on labor day weekend of 2003, I could have never imagined the bond and friendship I would grow to have with the most amazing dog I have ever met. The golden ball of fur would be known as Bailey, named after her milky puppy color which was quite similar to that of Bailey's Irish Cream, and Bailey would be one for the record books.

Her quirky personality soon became evident and her obsession with tennis balls was something no one could avoid noticing. She had a love for cats and would specifically find stuffed cats to carry around and also try to cat-whisper all the neighborhood cats and make them into her playmates. She was a character.

She spent 2 years in College Station with me and guarded the SASA CASA so very well. She befriended Montclair, the neighborhood cat, and they would bask in the sun on our porch for hours on end. She was my running partner and would impress everyone on our leash-less runs through campus. She was always happy and greeted everyone with a smile, or a tennis ball!

With the move to my new residence in May, Bailey had to move back to Fort Worth because I couldn't afford the $500 pet deposit. As much as I missed her, it worked out well because my mom was finally able to get her German Shepard puppy and Bailey was put on puppy sitting/mentoring duty.

Her fight would start at the beginning of November with an emergency surgery to stop a ruptured mass and internal bleeding. She would continue to steal the hearts of the entire staff of Davis Blvd Clinic and many others while battling for her life. She never objected and continued to greet the staff with a wag of her tail every time she saw them. Against all odds she made it through procedure after procedure and it wasn't until the last surgery on December 11th that she decided the fight had lasted long enough.

Her loss was felt quite literally around the world. She was the greatest dog and such a fighter. Her strength was beyond anything I could have imagined. She will forever be remembered and always be missed.

In true obedient form, Bailey holds my Aggie Ring

my guardian angel

Rest Peacefully My Beautiful Bailey
July 15, 2003 - December 11, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment